Along with the bathroom, the kitchen is the most expensive room in the house to remodel and can cost you a lot of money. It is a good idea to have a budget in mind, and make sure the funds are available to complete all the work before you decide to hire a kitchen remodeling contractor.
Sometimes, it can seem that everything is important in a kitchen remodeling project, but if you have budget constraints, it is important to be able to decide on priorities. But what should your priorities when you remodel your kitchen?
Ask any home remodeling contractor and he will tell you that appliances are more important than anything. Quality appliances are likely to come with better warranties, and will last for longer. They will also be more energy saving than cheaper alternatives. Appliances should not only be seen as a purchase, they should be considered an investment.
Quality flooring is another important consideration when you remodel your kitchen. Kitchen floors see a lot of wear and tear, and need to be hard wearing. They need to be able to survive and look good even after we have spilt cooking sauces on them and dropped plates accidentally.
Vinyl used to be one of the few options for kitchen flooring, but tiles are becoming very popular. Floor tiles are not only very trendy but they are easy to clean and will continue to look good for many years. Another advantage is that they are easy to maintain and can even be re-glazed.
Kitchen tiles will last for many years and they are even suited for under the floor radiant heating.
How can you save money?
Saving money on a kitchen remodeling project is not that difficult as long as you stick to a few simple principles.
1. Stick to the original floor plan. Moving electrical, gas and water points around can be very expensive. You would need specialist contractors, and the cost can quickly add up.
2. Remove the old kitchen yourself. You may be able to take the new kitchen yourself, and this can save on labor costs.
3. Pick classical designs and colors. Kitchen cupboards in fashionable colors quickly look dated, and you are likely to get bored with them.
4. Reduce the amount of tiles used on walls. Use only tiles where they are strictly necessary and go for neutral colors which can be accented with special tiles.
5. Use paints that are suitable for kitchens. Many paints are now easy wipe clean, and they are the ones which are best suited for kitchens.
6. Kitchen decor changes quickly. Go for a transitional theme which can be mixed and match with popular kitchen accessories. Never use dark colors in a kitchen, it can give the kitchen an appearance of being not very clean.
Should you hire a contractor?
This is one room that a contractor can certainly save you money in. They will have a good knowledge of what appliances will save you the most money on running costs, and will be able to explain about energy ratings, hence, you need to hire contractors who have good knowledge and experience.
Kitchen remodeling projects may need special licenses depending on where you live, and your contractor will be able to help you with obtaining the correct permits to complete the job. Finally, a kitchen remodeling contractor will be able to make any adjustments which might be necessary during the install. Sometimes even the best suppliers do not get the measurements right.